Thursday, July 11, 2013

Glenrothes Vintage 1998 (Bottled 2010 - 12 years)


Whisky Type/Region: Single Malt Scotch Whisky/Speyside

Bottle Size: 750ml

Alcohol by Volume: 43%

Notes: I have to give credit to Glenrothes for their clever marketing on Facebook. I had never heard of Glenrothes, but I was drawn in by their marketing and their simple packaging. I loved the look of that fat little bottle with the small label on it that looks handwritten. I was also intrigued by the fact that unlike most distilleries that release whisky by age, the folks that bottle Glenrothes, choose to release their offerings by vintage like wine makers do. 

I saw one of these cool little bottles, Vintage 1998, in it's simple minimalist box, sitting on the shelf of a local liquor store. Remembering their clever use of social network marketing, I decided to try it out. Having never tried any other vintages, I didn't know it at the time (but now know), this was the first release from Gordon Motion, who had replaced Glenrothes Malt Master and industry legend John Ramsay. Thankfully, if this bottle is any indication, Mr. Ramsay's carefully tended casks have been left in good hands!

Nose: Vanilla, caramel, with faint notes of lemon and pineapple. 

Taste: Caramel, cinnamon spice, followed by ripe pineapple and tangy green apples. Not terribly complex, but nicely balanced. 

Finish: Once the taste of the fruit fades, the honey and vanilla flavors remain, giving this a nice finish.

My Personal Rankin: 84/100 

Slainte!

No comments:

Post a Comment